February 8 Declared "Salt Lake City Public Library Day," Celebrated by Community Leaders and the Harlem Globetrotters
February 6, 2013 — SALT LAKE CITY — Community representatives, Salt Lake City Council Members, the Harlem Globetrotters, members of the Salt Lake City Public Library Board of Directors and library staff will mark the 10th anniversary of the Main Library's opening with the help of local children on Friday, February 8 at 5:00 PM in the library's Urban Room.
Children are invited to attend one of ten story times taking place throughout the day. The fourth story time, beginning at 4:30 in the Children's Library, will be attended by The Harlem Globetrotters. Following the story time, the children will sing Happy Birthday in the Urban Room. All story times are listed here.
The iconic building, designed by Moshe Safdie and Associates and local architecture firm VCBO, has been celebrated as a library that reflects the changing role of public library services. As the building enters its second decade, the Salt Lake City Public Library System is evaluating new service models, embracing digital and virtual resources, and adapting to the changing needs of the community.
Friday, February 8
Children's final story time: 4:30PM.
Public celebration: 5:00PM.
· Salt Lake City Council Chair Kyle LaMalfa will read a proclamation on behalf of Mayor Ralph Becker declaring February 8, 2013 "Salt Lake City Public Library Day."
· Local children will celebrate the occasion by singing Happy Birthday.
· The Harlem Globetrotters will put on a show.
· Following the event, representatives listed below will be available for comment.
· All members of the public are invited to attend the story time and events.
· Following the event, the following representatives will be available for comment:
· Council Chair Kyle LaMalfa and Councilman Charlie Luke (the impact the library has had on the community)
· Members of the Harlem Globetrotters (the importance of libraries and literacy)
· Steve Crane, VCBO Architecture (the intent and experience in designing the Main Library)
· Members of the Salt Lake City Public Library Board of Directors
· Members of the Salt Lake City Public Library administration (the future of libraries in our community)
WHERE: Urban Room of the Salt Lake City Public Library, 210 East 400 South, Salt Lake City.
You must login to comment.